Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why I need to be patient

So research is going, or at least, going on Africa time. At the moment, I’m facing precisely three problems with this first half of the research:

1. I can’t figure out which organizations work in informal settlements, let alone get in touch with them.
The Citywide Action Plan for the Upgrading Unplanned and Unserviced settlements in Dar es Salaam says, "There are at least three distinct projects aimed at improving water and sanitation in unplanned areas in Dar es Salaam... [One of these projects] involves three international organizations: Care International, Plan International and WaterAid Tanzania.” Care Int’l doesn’t give a phone number, email address or physical address on their website, and I’ve been trying to get in touch with WaterAid for days. Shockingly, Plan International has all their Tanzania contact info online!
Me: “Hello, is this Plan International?”
Woman #1: “Yes”
Me: “My name is Danielle [blah blah blah]. Does your organization do any work in informal settlements?”
Woman #1: “Yes”
Me: “Great! Would it be possible for me to meet with someone to talk about your organization’s work in informal settlements?”
Woman #1: “Uh, you want to talk to someone regarding the informal environment?”
Me: “…Regarding informal settlements”
[muffled sounds]
Woman #2: “Hello?”
Me: “Hi, my name is Danielle [blah blah blah]. I was hoping to talk to someone about your organization’s work in informal settlements.”
[silence]
Me: “Does Plan International work in informal settlements?”
Woman #2: “No.”

2. It’s really hard to find things to take photos of for BGI
Me: “I’d love to come see one of your projects sometime!”
WAT guy: “Hmmm… I can’t think of anything to show you. If you’ve already seen [other organization’s work], that’s probably the best thing”

3. There are several other researchers in Dar, all of whom are following the same trail of contacts.
Me: “Hello, is this [municipal leader]?”
Guy: “Yes, who is this?”
Me: “My name is Danielle—“
Guy: “How do you have this number?”
Me: “Rachel at City Council gave me your number”
Guy: “Oh! Yes, yes, I remember you! So I will see you when?”
Me: “Um, well…”
[momentary debate over whether to try to explain that he has no idea who I am or take advantage of his willingness to meet with me]
Me: “I’m free this afternoon, or tomorrow.”
Guy: “Ok, I will see you tomorrow. Ten o’clock?”
Me: “Great! Where?”
Guy: “At the office. See you then”

Oh, and the not speaking Swahili doesn’t really help much either. Anyways, time to fall asleep listening to the sounds of the neighborhood (at the moment: some distant yelling, Celine Dion & R Kelly belting out “I’ll be your angel,” and those blasted horns—if you’ve been watching the World Cup, you know what I’m talking about, and I can promise that they’re every bit as obnoxious in person as they are on television).

1 comment:

  1. So jealous you're in Dar! Don't worry too much about the work, getting frustrated and jerked around is half the battle. Miss you!! Amnesty <3!
    Zach

    ReplyDelete